For those who know me this is no surprise; I have a fear of dogs when I’m riding bike. Although I love dogs and have had several over my life time, I still don’t trust anyone else’s dog.
My justification for being paranoid:
- I put 2,700 + miles on my road bike a year. I’m guessing I ride about half of those miles solo. I feel more secure carrying some type of self defense product.
- We’ve had mountain lion sightings in our area and I think I caught a glimpse of one two summers ago. I doubt if mountain lions like pepper spray any better than dogs.
- I feel I’m protecting the dog from some day being run over by a car/truck by teaching them that it is not a good idea for them to be on the road.
Various pepper sprays I have used:
- Bear spray – I purchased my first can of “dog spray” at Cabella’s. When I described to the salesman what I needed, he suggested a pistol. Not what I had in mind, so he sold me a giant canister of bear spray. It was awesome; it would shoot a stream out several feet, I felt like I was packing some real heat.
- Halt dog spray – I switched to Halt because it was hard to get the bear spray where I live and because of the teasing I had to endure about the bear spray. I wasn’t as happy with the Halt, the mist versus the stream of spray made me a little nervous, especially if the wind was behind me when I used it. And it just seemed wimpy compared to the bear spray.
- Fox pepper spray – Recommended on the Crazy Guy on a Bike Touring forum. This shoots s out in a stream and is the hottest pepper spray sold by law. I clicked on the link in the forum and went directly to the website and ordered.
Will my name now appear on a list as a risk to national security?
Received the Fox pepper spray very promptly, happy with the service. However, the catalog that accompanied my order makes me wonder about what type of people order from this company. The products range from corny James Bond like products (pepper spray hidden in a ring) to lock picking kits, scary looking knives and videos on “how to get even.” If I get hauled away from the FBI/CIA it’s all because I ordered my spring supply of dog spray from this J&L Self Defense Company!