Thursday, April 3, 2008

Biking – My Cure All!

Two weeks ago I had a large lipoma (benign fatty tumor) removed from the back of my neck. I had been looking forward to getting rid of the lump so I was disappointed when the incision site had some bleeding on the inside and I developed a large hematoma and fluid pocket. Essentially I had a lump as large as the one removed and now it was an interesting dark purple color with lovely stitching holding it all together.

The doctor said I would need to either have the blood/fluid aspirated with a needle/syringe or she may have to make a small incision to remove the hematoma but she wanted to wait for it to get “mushier” on the inside (very sophisticated medical terminology). She will be very happy at my next appointment to see the swelling is all gone!

My husband was commenting on how much it has improved and I told him I knew exactly the cause; once I started doing some intervals on the trainer and getting my heart rate up, my body absorbed the fluid and hematoma. He just shook his head and commented that my bike seems to be the answer to everything! Truer words were never spoken.

“Be at one with the universe. If you can’t do that, at least be at one with your bike.” Lennard Zinn

4 comments:

bikingbrady said...

Biking cures cancer...news at 11

Tez said...

Glad you are doing fine!

CDV said...

We had a ride today that would have cured just about anything, except wind burn. Where were you, we missed you!

Unknown said...

I have no excuses....just thought I need to get a few miles in (with the bike off the trainer) before I join in a group ride. I'm clutzy and need to get acclamated to my bike again. Hopefully next time! I'm anxious to hear who all braved the wind.