Monday, October 27, 2008

My newest method for cleaning my bike and chain

Since last Sunday might sweet husband sagged for Cindy and I as we rode the Nebraska hills, this Sunday was payback time. I was a good wife and helped wash all the mud and grime off the school buses that accumulated after the wet week we had last week.

With two people it went rather quickly – I ran the pressure washer and Charlie did the scrubbing. And I found a new way to get a bike chain and cassette dazzlingly clean in no time flat. I brought my mountain bike in and sprayed it down with a degreaser and then took the pressure washer and with the bike propped against a wheel of the bus, I could hit the stream of water just right on the chain and got the pedals spinning backwards at a ridiculously high speed. I then took the air hose and dried off all the components and oiled the chain. I have never seen such a clean chain!

I’m anxious to take the bike out for a little spin. Last time I rode it I was having problems with it not wanting to go into the small chain ring but I could see there was quite a bit of mud around the derailleur so I’m sure that was the problem. It looks like a brand new bike now and I hope it rides like one too. Hopefully this is an “approved” method of cleaning the bike chain and cassette - I guess someone will let me know if it isn't.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathy, you should NEVER clean your bike with a powerwasher. You can blow the lube out of your bearings.

Unknown said...

I thought it was too good to be true!

bikingbrady said...

Somebody beat me too it....I got yelled at long ago for going to the car wash after "mudding" on my Mtn. Bike. They asked what I cleaned and I said EVERYTHING. I was duly scorned for my foolish ways.

Unknown said...

Now I know. It's back to the brushes and doing it the old way!