Okay, it’s time for me to get organized so when I have time to ride I can get out the door and on the road quicker! Here are a few things I’m going to try to do:
1. Keep all bike gear in the same spot all the time so I’m not running around looking for it.
a. I do a fair job of this already; cycling clothing is all in 3 dresser drawers I took over when oldest daughter left home.
b. I seem to have the most problem with my gadgets; heart rate monitor and bike computer (sometimes I bring it in the house to record mileage and then forget where I left it).
c. Also, I tend to forget my gloves so I leave an extra pair in the garage on a shelf next to my bike.
2. Have under-the-seat bike bag stocked with essentials and emergency supplies and will replace when they are used:
a. Bike tube, CO2, tire lever, multi tool
b. Cliff bar, energy gels
c. Tissue in a baggie for cleaning sunglasses
e. LED taillight for when I get caught out at dusk
f. Clipped to the bag, my $5 Walmart radio, good company on solo rides
3. On the bike:
a. Halt dog spray in velcro pouch on bike
b. Cell phone holder. Which reminds me……keep cell phone charged!
c. Tire pump
That’s it for equipment, a few other things I need related to food and hydration:
1. Water – I like it cold, or at least like to start out that way. Put ice in Polar water bottle and store in freezer. Just need to add the water.
2. Electrolyte drink – I’ve been using powdered Gatorade but my daughter has got me started on the new Gatorade G2, less sugar and taste better. I picked up a couple of 8-packs of this and keep some in the refrigerator ready to go.
3. Keep some fresh fruit cut up and ready to eat before and after a ride. Also will stock some healthy granola bars (ones without high fructose corn syrup).
1. I vow to do this on rainy days when I’m not able to ride anyway! For me the only maintenance I really do myself is pump up the tires, clean the chain, and oil the chain. I like to think I’m contributing to keeping the local bike shop open by letting Rich take care of the rest.